The first outing for Canal Mania, purchased by James direct from the Ragnar Brothers at the recent UK Games Expo. This has elements of Railway Rivals, Ticket to Ride and Steam, but the jury is still out as to whether it combines the best elements of those games effectively (i.e. given the choice, would we rather play Ticket to Ride...?). But it is promising and worth a replay. BGG says best with 4 players and it has a pretty good score with lots of supporters (I'd checked BGG on my phone before buying) so I'm keen to try it again before we've completely forgotten the rules.
As with many of our other games, we use our huge brains to work out every possible option each round, and so end up turning a 90 minute game into one lasting 3 hours. I think that's where some of the dissatisfaction creeps in. If we'd finished it in an hour and a half, and then had a game of Ra (for example), I suspect we all (even Orhan! :-) would have gone home thinking it was a pretty good game. But as we invest more and more time, so our expectations grow.
Final scores: David won with 71, Adrian and Kieron both had 69, Orhan and James both on 63.
No comments:
Post a Comment