Sunday, 27 March 2011

Show and Tell: Field Defences Part 2

BKC lists Field Defences that make troops and vehicles harder to hit and improve their save values.  For hasty defences, in addition to minefields and barbed wire, players can deploy trenches, gun pits and AFV (Armoured Fighting Vehicle) pits.  Clearly it's difficult to create pits and trenches on your dining room table but they can represented by sloping the ground up.  Several companies sell resin versions but again, I thought I'd make my own.

I bought a couple of sheets of 25mm thick styrofoam from eBay for a few quid.  This is a high-density blue polystyrene which is easily cut and filed, and doesn't break up into little bits like packing polystyrene.


For the gun pits, I cut the foam into blocks, then cut them into two thinner halves.  After marking out where the 40x40mm base would need to go, I cut and filed the edges, and then cut out the pit.


I then rounded off the corners and painted them.  As well as gun pits, I made AFV pits and trenches for the infantry.  Here's what they look like finished.


Each piece ends up costing just a few pence.  And I've plenty of foam left for carving pill boxes and bunkers for scenarios allowing fixed defences (the subject of a future posting...).

No comments: