Sunday, 6 February 2011

Show and Tell: 8th Army aircraft

In the seemingly never-ending escalation between Andy's Afrika Korps and my 8th Army, we're now into aircraft.  Andy started it with some metal Stukas, so I started looking for some Hurricanes.  Although there are metal versions available, the blogs were talking about Sweet Aviation Models as the most detailed aircraft available.  This is a Japanese company and most of the boxes have traditional Airfix-like covers, but this is what the Hurricane looks like...


If I hadn't already read reviews of the model, this would definitely have put me off!  However, inside the box you get instructions, two plastic kits and lots of transfers.


On the flip side of the instructions are the camouflage markings for four different tropical Hurricane Mk1s, with a fifth on back of the box.


Resisting the temptation to use the Malta (!) markings, I painted up V7544 from No 73 Squadron, North Africa (left, below) and V2643 flown by Squadron Leader P H Dunne of No 274 Squadron, North Africa.


Note the difference in insignia - different size roundels and tailplane graphics.  I made 7 inch high stands for the aircraft which gives a good height above the table.


I hadn't made a plastic kit for a long time but I enjoyed doing these.  The kit was a bit dearer than buying cast metal but worth it for all the transfers and painting scheme information.  Just to have to paint my CO and HQ bases and then I'm finished.  Until I buy some more tanks to keep up with Andy...

1 comment:

Adrian said...

These look really good James. Can't wait to have a go with the rules.