Thursday, 11 January 2007

Mare Nostrum (with Mythology Expansion) - 10 January

James hosted a new Xmas game, Adrian's Mare Nostrum, boosted up by its Mythology expansion to cater for 6 players. Hard core Rivalry ensued. Adrian as Egypt got off to an early start, getting his second hero/wonder card quickly. But was sat on by James with little means to retaliate. Stu continued his vocation of carnage and built legions to attack Deej's Greece, but was seen off very quickly by the Greek centaurs. Stu's attention then turned to Kieron's Atlantis and desultory warfare raged in the west for the rest of the game. Andy as Babylon expanded his influence consistently, but somewhat purposely. The game came down to James' dominance of three of the roles - Trade, Gods and Movement. Early trading was cautious but the later uber-trade-fests resulted in James managing to buy the Pyramids. Deej also could have, but Adrian (unwittingly) picked James to play first. With the Pyramids gone, Kieron was next in line, being able to win with a fourth hero/wonder card. Deej and Stu could both acquire another to make three; Adrian had his (original) two; Andy his starting hero. But immense influence. :-)
With the now agreed scoring system, James got 10, Kieron 6, Deej and Stu 3 each, and Adrian and Andy on big fat 0s. After two games then, the running average scores are (by my reckoning): James 8; Deej 4; Adrian 4; Kieron 4; Stu 3; Andy 1. So Mr Parker pulls ahead...

6 comments:

James said...

A complex but fun game with seemingly a lot of variations and ways to win. Taking early control of choosing the amount and order of trading, and order of moves/attacks gave me a significant advantage. I look forward to playing it again from a different starting point.

David said...

Do you think that those mass-trades were a good tactic? On the one hand you won... but you also let KPS and me into the game.

Anyhow - an excellent game and I look forward to playing it with full hero choice next time. Now we know how to play we'll be able to understand the hero effects better.

James said...

I think the tactic was my best chance of winning - and if I'd thought it through more carefully, I would have won a turn earlier when I successfully collected the full set of twelve but had to give David a card at the end of the trading. I think it was the second chance that provided David and Kieron the opportunity to go for 9 and 12 cards to press forward towards victory.

I was certainly worried that someone else had collected 12 the second time and I was lucky that the recent conflict between me and Adrian led him to ask me to build first.

James said...

Good idea using the name of the game as a label, Adrian. I've added "winner RIVALNAME" labels to the two postings so far, because I think that might be an interesting search on the blog later in the year.

Anonymous said...

The blog looks like a good way of logging games. I'm also tempted to set up a show and tell one for our Anderida armies. Have been taking (with new camera) shots of each Aztec element. Perhaps too many to post by the time I've finished the army, but I might put some up. What do you all think?

Kieron said...

Right - I think I've managed to get myself sorted on this blog thingy. WHat a great game Mare Nostrum is - a sure rival classic. James opting to trade lots did not help me a great deal as I was receiving 7 distinct cards per turn any way but in some ways a miss is as good as a mile - 8 cards ain't no good. Can't wait to play it again - and I managed to get my first points of the year!