After many games over more than a decade, I decided it was time to upgrade my Wild West town. Amazingly, I managed to sell all my cardboard buildings and so got a good contribution towards the cost of MDF replacements.
I bought half a dozen buildings from Products for Wargamers at Salute last year. They have good levels of detail and a variety of styles, not quite as detailed as 4Ground but much better value for money.
I did have trouble with a few missing parts and duplicates (eventually sorted out) and the lack of full bases to construct the buildings upon. The latter problem was solved by a kind colleague of Louise's who cut a set of bases for me, along with a personalised sign for the saloon. These new bases meant that I could adapt the internal floors to use as first floors in the two storey buildings.
I bought a general store, a hardware store, undertaker, bank, hotel and saloon, and I finished painting them a few days ago. All the roofs are removable so figures can fight inside.
They came in the usual MDF flat packs:
Prior to priming:
And after priming in grey:
The final products:
In addition, I bought a Sheriff's office with cell block extension, plus a range of smaller buildings, from TTCombat. These were cheaper and used thicker MDF. They aren't quite as detailed and the small building kits didn't align that well, but they're good enough.
I also bought a minehead from the excellent Sarissa and added a track and a couple of mine carts.
These are all the new buildings but for future reference, here are images of the other buildings I have which are suitable for Wild West scenarios: a stable, water tower, wind water pump and gallows, along with the two "south of the border" buildings (all but the stable and gallows are Sarissa products and I've blogged about them previously).
You might think that would do it but I got a railway station (essential to make the most of my excellent locomotive and carriages) and a church from my in-laws for Christmas, as well as a paddle steamer from Andy - so the wonderful smell of laser-cut MDF will be around the house for a few more weeks yet.
I bought half a dozen buildings from Products for Wargamers at Salute last year. They have good levels of detail and a variety of styles, not quite as detailed as 4Ground but much better value for money.
I did have trouble with a few missing parts and duplicates (eventually sorted out) and the lack of full bases to construct the buildings upon. The latter problem was solved by a kind colleague of Louise's who cut a set of bases for me, along with a personalised sign for the saloon. These new bases meant that I could adapt the internal floors to use as first floors in the two storey buildings.
I bought a general store, a hardware store, undertaker, bank, hotel and saloon, and I finished painting them a few days ago. All the roofs are removable so figures can fight inside.
They came in the usual MDF flat packs:
Prior to priming:
And after priming in grey:
The final products:
In addition, I bought a Sheriff's office with cell block extension, plus a range of smaller buildings, from TTCombat. These were cheaper and used thicker MDF. They aren't quite as detailed and the small building kits didn't align that well, but they're good enough.
I also bought a minehead from the excellent Sarissa and added a track and a couple of mine carts.
You might think that would do it but I got a railway station (essential to make the most of my excellent locomotive and carriages) and a church from my in-laws for Christmas, as well as a paddle steamer from Andy - so the wonderful smell of laser-cut MDF will be around the house for a few more weeks yet.



No comments:
Post a Comment